We all desire a thick voluminous mane, especially those of us who regularly use relaxers to tame our unruly strands, Not only does a thick and shiny head of hair look gorgeous, it also signals overall good health.
However, those of us who regularly apply relaxers need a well-thought-out game plan to achieve a thick and healthy mane.
Relaxers are great not only for taming unruly locks but also for making hair more manageable and reducing styling time.
On the downside, when done too frequently and if applied poorly, relaxers can cause major damage. The chemical components are also incredibly harsh on hair and can cause hair to break and thin out.
If you’re battling with relaxed hair that’s thinning out, then read on. This article contains everything you’ll need to know about how to thicken relaxed hair.
Table of Content
Space relaxer treatments over a longer period
Of all the advice in this article, this tip is probably the most important. Spacing out the time between relaxer applications is your first step in achieving thicker hair
Instead of relaxing every three months with touch-ups in between, wait four to five months before your next relaxer application.
Time heals all strands - not only will you be giving your scalp and hair a well-deserved break, but you are also less likely to experience hair breakage and damage caused by overlapping relaxer applications.
During break periods, make a concerted effort to:
- Moisturize and hydrate - Keep your hair well moisturized and hydrated by including hair food into your hair routine. This will not only increase your hair’s resilience but will also allow for new hair growth.
- Regularly massage your scalp - With essential oils such as peppermint and jojoba. A good head massage stimulates blood flow and nourishes hair follicles to stimulate hair growth.
- Apply castor oil to your hair. Apply castor oil twice weekly to reduce and prevent hair damage.
- As it contains omega-9 fatty acids which help to moisturize the hair and the scalp you’re providing nourishment directly to the hair follicle and root which will help to thicken your hair.
- Go for unrefined, natural variants like Jamaican black castor oil, or, visit your local health food store for alternatives.
- Invest in a good hair vitamin - As an excellent source of nourishment, hair vitamins contain key ingredients such as biotin, amino acids, silica, and more that help to strengthen hair from the inside out and provide optimum dietary support needed for thick and healthy hair.
- Eat a balanced diet - Eating a balanced diet, drinking plenty of water, and staying away from tobacco products and alcohol will go a long way in improving overall health
- When your body is getting everything it needs, and less of what it doesn’t, hair growth is encouraged.
- Include hair superfoods such as almonds, fruit, and green veggies in your diet for excellent results.
Normal Strength vs. Extra Strength Relaxers
Be selective about the strength of the relaxer you apply.
A normal strength relaxer typically processes at a slower rate as opposed to extra strength but is essentially less damaging.
Your hair will not come out bone straight and you will be left with texture to help make your hair more dense and thick.
Pre-shampoo using Coconut oil
Using a mixture of conditioner and coconut oil before your hair is known to protect hair and guard against the damage by protecting the hair cuticle.
Stronger hair cuticles equate to stronger, more resilient strands and inevitably ticker hair.
Protect Previously Relaxed Hair
Always protect the ends of your hair when relaxing.
Over-relaxing results in hair that’s over-processed which can lead to thinning and breakage. By protecting your hair’s lengths, you’re creating a barrier between your hair and any runoff from the relaxer.
Apply light protein treatments
Change up your hair care routine to include a weekly light protein treatment.
When introduced to heat, a good hair reconstructor contains proteins that will cause the hair to swell in diameter and increase thickness.
A good reconstructor helps to fortify and strengthen your hair and will prevent breakage
So there you have it, solid and practical advice to help you increase your hairs thickness and maintain overall hair health
In the end, a full and voluminous mane is doable provided that you follow the tips and tricks contained in this article.