When pregnant, skin changes are as common as body changes. Apart from feeling too sensitive, your skin also becomes more susceptible to acne. It’s a very common problem, after all, that you can fix only if you switch to the best face washes & cleansers for pregnancy.
At the same time, the safety and health of your growing fetus are also a concern. You want to make sure your skincare products are clean, right? Meaning staying away from questionable ingredients. In that case, you might want to switch to one of these facial cleansers…
Table of Content
- 15 Best Safe Face Washes During Pregnancy 2020
- 1. Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash
- 2. Aleavia Purifying Organic Facial Cleanser
- 3. Christina Moss Naturals Facial Cleanser
- 4. CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
- 5. EltaMD Foaming Facial Cleanser
- 6. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser
- 7. Aveeno Ultra-Calming Hydrating Gel Facial Cleanser
- 8. Alba Botanica Hawaiian Facial Cleanser
- 9. Mederma AG Hydrating Facial Cleanser
- 10. Body Boost Daily Clarifying Face Wash
- 11. Era Organics Moisturizing Face Wash
- 12. Inn&Co Maternal Anti-Blemish Face Wash
- 13. Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Daily Facial Cleanser
- 14. Garnier SkinActiv Micellar Foaming Face Wash
- 15. Bioderma Sensibio H20 Micellar Water
- Is It Okay to Use Facial Cleanser When Pregnant?
- What Ingredients to Avoid During Pregnancy?
- How to Care for Skin During Pregnancy
- Frequently Asked Questions
- The End
15 Best Safe Face Washes During Pregnancy 2020
1. Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash
Belli takes the anti-blemish treatment further with their pure facial cleanser that targets hormonal acne that often arises during pregnancy. In fact, you can use it on your body as well for reducing your body acne.
The formula consists of lactic acid, cucumber extract, and green tea. Along with acne-fighting benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and glycolic acid.
2. Aleavia Purifying Organic Facial Cleanser
If you’ve just found that you’re pregnant, then now is the time to make the switch to Aleavia. This Purifying Organic Facial Cleanser keeps your acne-prone, sensitive skin in a better condition. Breakouts become less noticeable since the formula balances your skin tone and minimizes oil.
The product is also a very good choice for combating acne scars and signs of aging. And these benefits are brought forth without disrupting your skin’s natural pH balance. All because of the addition of natural aloe vera.
3. Christina Moss Naturals Facial Cleanser
This facial cleanser is a concentrated formula that improves your skin texture and tone while also preventing breakouts that tend to get worse during pregnancy. And pregnant women who have already developed acne can use it for fading their acne scars.
It’s got gentle plant extracts and essential oils that cleanse the skin without clogging your pores. The list includes rosemary flower extract and essential oil, aloe vera juice, coconut oil, and olive fruit oil. So the face wash, no doubt, is well-equipped to cleanse, repair, soothe, and moisturize your skin.
4. CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Those with acne-prone and/or oily skin, pregnant or not, are sure to benefit from this advanced CeraVe formulation. It’s packed with hydration brought about by 3 essential ceramides, glycerin, and hyaluronic acid.
Furthermore, the lotion-type consistency leaves your skin feeling moisturized yet not greasy at all. Plus, the formula, just like every other CeraVe product, is non-irritating, non-drying, non-comedogenic, paraben-free, and fragrance-free.
5. EltaMD Foaming Facial Cleanser
Why not save your trip to the dermatologist with this EltaMD Foaming Facial Cleanser. It’s got a blend of amino acids and enzymes that get rid of oil, impurities, and makeup from within your pores. The amazing foaming action gently lifts all those impurities to rinse them away.
The formula reduces skin damage often caused by pollution. So you can use it on a daily basis even after your pregnancy only to keep your skin free of damaging pollutants.
6. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser
It’s already been established that a gentle cleanser suitable for sensitive skin is a good option for pregnant women. Particularly if the formula belongs to La Roche-Posay. The milky, creamy texture of Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser helps in retaining your skin’s essential moisture while also gently getting rid of dirt, makeup, and impurities.
If you ask me, it’s a one-step-ahead, more advanced formulation than CeraVe.
7. Aveeno Ultra-Calming Hydrating Gel Facial Cleanser
You can easily unbalance your sensitive, acne-prone, oily skin with this non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic Aveeno facial cleanser.
After all, the formulation is enriched with nourishing oat and calming feverfew. These two ingredients are the best for naturally taking care of sensitive skin. And even treating common skin conditions like rosacea, eczema, and the like.
8. Alba Botanica Hawaiian Facial Cleanser
If the pineapple scent doesn’t get you hooked on to this clean facial cleanser by Alba Botanica, then the exclusion of harmful chemicals surely does.
During pregnancy, it’s necessary to use such nourishing, chemical-free skincare products. And this one also fights painful hormonal acne to leave your skin feeling smooth and healthy.
9. Mederma AG Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Some women get the worse acne breakouts of their life during pregnancy. So, at such times, finding a gentle facial cleanser can be challenging, let alone a fragrance-free, gentle cleanser. So how about this hydrating formula that moisturizes your skin and makes it feel the smoothest!
The facial cleanser doesn’t go overboard in terms of moisturizing, meaning it doesn’t lead to excess sebum production. Plus, the exfoliating skin benefits of glycolic acid contribute to making your troubled skin appear more even and smoother.
10. Body Boost Daily Clarifying Face Wash
When a product is specially formulated for addressing blemishes, patchiness, and uneven skin texture, you have to stop and take notice. And when gentle ingredients get the job done, then you have to take it into some serious consideration as well.
The Body Boost formula is a safe, effective option for pregnant women struggling with frequent acne breakouts and severe acne scars. This Daily Clarifying Face Wash is clinically tested for sensitivity and allergy. Plus, you’ll simply love the refreshing grapefruit and lemon scent
11. Era Organics Moisturizing Face Wash
Why waste your money when struggling with bad pregnancy-related acne! This face wash takes less than a month to clear out your face and balance out your skin tone.
The ingredients used, no doubt, are safe during pregnancy. The list includes aloe vera for healing and deep hydration, Manuka honey for cellular regeneration and anti-aging, and Cehami extract for its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
12. Inn&Co Maternal Anti-Blemish Face Wash
This one’s safe to use during pregnancy, post-pregnancy, and beyond. It’s safe, gentle, and effective. You can target your hormonal acne breakouts with Maternal Anti-Blemish Face Wash, even if your skin type is sensitive.
Safe, effective ingredients like green tea and lactic acid are involved. Along with plant oils and extracts that provide antioxidants for balancing your skin. The cleanser clears up the face significantly by drying up old blemishes and preventing new ones.
13. Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Daily Facial Cleanser
About time for the name Neutrogena to pop up, isn’t it? For pregnancy, it’s the Ultra Gentle Hydrating formula that gets the job done without damaging or drying out your skin. It’s also a very affordable option plus Neutrogena’s an easily available drugstore brand.
The mild creamy texture removes bacteria, makeup, dirt, and oil to leave your skin feeling naturally soft and moisturized. And with no parabens, fragrances, and potential allergens, you can keep on using this nourishing, hydrating face wash after pregnancy too.
14. Garnier SkinActiv Micellar Foaming Face Wash
You need something effective yet gentle, clean, and fresh to do away with pregnancy acne. Such as this Garnier SkinActiv Micellar Foaming Face Wash.
Micellar water is not just gentle but also incredibly effective as far as removing oil, dirt, and makeup is concerned. And it tones your skin, promotes hydration, minimizes inflammation, and keeps your skin soft, smooth, and supple.
15. Bioderma Sensibio H20 Micellar Water
Many pregnant women choose body washes with safe, clean ingredients, so why not do the same for your face! That said, Bioderma Sensibio H20 Micellar Water formulation is like a holy grail for allergy-prone or sensitive skin.
I mentioned just before this review that micellar water does a lot for the skin than you can imagine. It’s an active ingredient, after all, that instantly captures impurities to leave your skin feeling clean, fresh, and moisturized.
Is It Okay to Use Facial Cleanser When Pregnant?
With hormonal acne breakouts being a pain in the backside during pregnancy, it’s not only safe but highly recommended to use a facial cleanser. However, which cleanser you use is very important. It should be one that’s safe for your pregnancy and unborn child with ingredients that should be avoided at all costs. More on that below…
What Ingredients to Avoid During Pregnancy?
Now, pay close attention because this is the most important part of the article.
- Hydroquinone – It’s a skin-lightening ingredient commonly used in skincare and beauty products. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it except that you should avoid it during pregnancy since it’s supposed to be very strong and can have a negative impact on fetus development. So how about waiting till after your pregnancy to lighten those dark spots!
- Salicylic Acid – It’s best to avoid salicylic acid-infused facial cleansers because this beta-hydroxy acid causes skin irritation at the time of pregnancy. And its potency tends to affect the fetus. Instead, go for lactic acid. No doubt, that is a safer acne-fighting alternative.
- Benzoyl Peroxide – This is yet another very commonly used acne-fighting ingredient in skincare products. But pregnant women are better off without it because of its harsh nature.
- Retinoids – For a youthful glow, nothing works better than retinoids. But you should avoid it during pregnancy because it’s linked to causing birth defects, premature delivery, and even miscarriage.
- Others – This includes willow bark, DEA (diethanolamine), formaldehyde, phthalates, and parabens. These tend to cause skin irritation. Also, the chances of the ingredients getting absorbed into your skin and passing on to your baby are quite high. Needless to say, this is not good. Because, for instance, parabens have been known to lead to impaired growth and miscarriage.
How to Care for Skin During Pregnancy
During these harrowing 9 months, your skin becomes more sensitive and even more susceptible to acne breakouts. So it’s very important to switch to an effective yet mild cleansing formula that targets common pregnancy-related issues like acne.
If you wish to exfoliate better, then soak a clean washcloth in warm water and massage away those dead skin cells and impurities.
But don’t forget to moisturize after exfoliating and cleansing your face. Even if your skin type is oily and/or acne-prone, hydrating the skin afterward is not optional. Simply because well-moisturized skin is less prone to developing stretch marks.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often to Use Pregnancy Face Wash?
Over-use of any facial cleanser works counterproductively, meaning it’s likely that you end up having to deal with excessive dryness or sebum. So to avoid that, whether pregnant or not, wash your face only 2-3 times daily.
Is Simple Face Wash Safe to Use During Pregnancy?
There’s just no denying that Simple products, including their facial cleansers, are highly recommended for pregnancy use. Since they don’t have any harsh chemicals or artificial fragrances, they’re perfect for sensitive skin during pregnancy.
Is Hyaluronic Acid Safe to Use During Pregnancy?
It’s the most commonly added to skincare and even beauty products to boost skin hydration. And here’s great news - hyaluronic acid is safe for pregnant women. Be it for acne-prone or sensitive skin!
Is Salicylic Acid Safe to Use During Pregnancy?
So you may want to target your body acne with these salicylic acid-infused body washes. In that case, can you use them during pregnancy? The oral intake of salicylic acid is linked to birth defects and miscarriage. No doubt, this places the topical application also under suspicion. Therefore, it’s best to avoid it, at least those products with a higher salicylic acid concentration.
The 9 months of pregnancy are crucial, aren’t they? I mean you have to be extra mindful about what you eat as well as what you expose your skin to. Many women tend to neglect the latter, which doesn’t just harm fetus development but also your acne-prone and/or sensitive skin.
But you can undo the skin damage pregnancy often causes simply by incorporating clean products into your daily skincare routine. Such as these facial cleansers that are hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, paraben-free, fragrance-free, and a lot more that your mommy skin is bound to appreciate.